Our fishmongers will give you expert tips on preparing and cooking fish, so please ask when you next visit them in store. Here are some ideas to help you get the best out of your Market Street catch.
We can skin, fillet and debone your fish to your liking.
- Cover frozen fish with milk when thawing in fridge to keep it tasting fresh.
- Look for the ‘C’ when cooking prawns. Straight prawns are undercooked, prawns that have just curled into a C-shape are perfectly cooked, and prawns that have twisted into an O-shape are overcooked.
- Lay your fish onto some lemon slices. When grilling or barbequing fish, adding a lemony layer between the fish and the grill. This prevents fish from sticking, and also adds a delicious citrus zest to your dish.
- Try a flavouring with your fillets. Ask our fishmongers for a free butter with your fish, and bake it in the bag.
- To minimise the smell of fish in your home, bake it in a tinfoil or parchment paper parcel, season the fish well with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon . Cooking in the parcel will keep in all the flavor inside and will keep the fish succulent.
- If you're frying fish, try cooking in 'half and half' butter and oil - the oil will stop the butter from burning and the butter will add flavor. Always finish cooking fish with a squeeze of lemon.
Top chef's tip:
Moving fish around too much in the pan can cause it to break up. Try cooking the fish one side without moving for 3-4 minutes before turning over carefully with a fish slice to cook the other side for a further 3-4 minutes. Allow to rest too, as the fish will continue 'cooking' and this extra resting time will mean you have beautifully tender fish.