Our experts will be able to offer lots of tips for preparing your seafood for date night or special occasions. To whet your appetite, here are two of our favourite tips on how to cook scallops.
Cooking Scallops In Their Shell
Scallops taste great when cooked in the shell - which acts as a 'mini baking tray' in the oven.
- Top them with a cheddar sauce from the Morrisons fish counter
- Sprinkle with a mixture of breadcrumbs, melted butter and chopped parsley.
- Bake at 190°C (fan) for 15-18 minutes.
- Always ensure they are piping hot throughout.
“Scallops can be expensive. This 50p deal is the best in the UK and means that we are making a luxurious item much more affordable for all our customers.”
Sarah Bell, scallop buyer for Morrisons
Frying Scallops Out Of Their Shell
If you prefer, you can ask a Morrisons fishmonger to remove scallops from the shell so you can pan fry them. You can add sauces, extra ingredients and different herbs to your scallop, but this is a great ‘base’ method for frying them.
- Before cooking pat the scallops dry on kitchen roll.
- Wait to season the scallops until just before cooking (if you season too early the salt will draw moisture out of the scallop and make them too wet).
- Heat a thin layer of oil at a high temperature in a non-stick pan until the oil starts to smoke.
- Place the first scallop in the pan. If the fat is hot enough the scallop will sizzle.
- Do not overcrowd the pan as this causes the temperature of the pan to drop.
- When you have placed the scallop in the pan, do not move it or shake the pan.
- Let the scallop sear for 2 minutes, turn over and cook for a further minute.
- Just before finishing add a small knob of butter and coat the scallops.
- Ensure they are piping hot throughout.
- Serve on a bed of asparagus, or add chorizo to the pan as you fry
- Squeeze over some lemon juice for added flavour.
Our 50p King Scallops are only available in stores, subject to availability.
Find your nearest store
Browse our online scallops range