- 1/4 cup of golden syrup
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 125 g of butter - chopped into cubes
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups of plain flour
- A smartie or M&M
How to make reindeer biscuits:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees, and line two baking trays with paper.
- In a small oven-proof bowl, mix together the golden syrup, sugar and spices - then place over a saucepan of boiling water
- Once the sugar has dissolved, stir in the bicarbonate of soda and take off the heat as it starts to bubble
- Pour this melted sugar mixture into a large bowl and stir through the chopped butter
- Add the egg and a cup of sifted flour and mix together
- Add the remaining flour and mix together with a butter knife to make a dough
- Flip your dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and soft
- Divide the dough into two halves and cover with clingfilm before chilling for 30 minutes
- Take the dough from the fridge and roll each portion between two sheets of baking paper until around 5mm thick.
- Cut out a reindeer head using cutters (upside down gingerbread people work well too - with their legs for ears) or a blunt knife and place on baking trays.
- Bake for 9 - 11 minutes until golden brown
- Allow the gingerbread to completely cool before turning upside down and decorating as pictured
- Place a little icing in the centre of your reindeers 'face' to help secure it's Smarties or M&M nose.
Find more Christmas ideas and inspiration >>