Easter Sunday falls on Sunday 12th April in 2020 - so make sure you add all the ingredients you need to your basket in plenty of time for this fun 3D bake.
Easter Bunny Cake
Total time required: 1 hr 40 mins, preparation time: 1 hr, cooking time: 40 mins, 2 hours chilling
This Bunny cake will serve 12, so you'll have happy little bunnies of your own if you're throwing an Easter party or hosting a family get-together. You'll need to cut some ears out of white and pink card for a full helping of Easter magic...
- 180g light brown soft sugar
- 2 eggs
- 120ml sunflower oil
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 200g carrots, grated
- 1 orange, finely grated zest only
- 150g white chocolate (for the icing), broken into cubes
- 200ml double cream (for the icing)
- 200g light soft cheese (for the icing)
- 100g desiccated coconut (for the fluffy fur)
- 2 sweets or chocolate buttons (for the eyes)
- 1 Handful marshmallows (for the nose and tail)
- 6 sweet sticks (for the whiskers)
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4. Line a 25cm round cake tin with baking parchment.
- Beat together the sugar, eggs and oil. Sift in the flour, baking powder and mixed spice. Fold in the carrots and zest. Add to the tin and level.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until well-risen and springy to the touch. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- To prepare the icing, heat the chocolate and cream in a bowl over a pan of simmering water until melted and smooth.
- Take the bowl off the heat, add the cream cheese and whisk with an electric beater for 2 minutes. Chill for 2 hours.
- To assemble, cut the cake in half vertically then sandwich the halves together side by side using some of the icing. Flip over so the cut side
- faces down and lift on to a serving board.
- Cut out a small notch about a third of the way along the curve to shape the head. Cover with icing, then coat with coconut to form the ‘fur’.
- Use sweets for the eyes and make a nose and tail out of marshmallows. Just before serving, add the ears made from white and pink card into
- the notch behind the head and push in your whiskers.