It's not winter until you've had your first mulled wine. The perfect cosy conconction for those colder nights. Give our rich and delicious mulled wine recipe a try...
- 2 oranges
- 2 bottles of red wine
- 1 bottle of white wine
- 1 fresh root ginger, 6cm piece peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 5 tbsp demerara sugar
- 4 tbsp brandy, (optional)
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the zest from the oranges in strips, being careful to remove only the orange part, leaving the pith behind.
- Then, juice the oranges into a large pot.
- Pour the red wine and white wine into the pot with the orange juice.
- Place the strips of orange zest, ginger, cinnamon sticks, cloves and sugar into the pot with the wine mixture; stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Cover and heat over medium-high until heated through, but not boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and heat for an hour or longer to bring all of the flavours together.
- Adjust the sweetness by adding more sugar, if necessary. Strain and serve hot with a splash of brandy, if desired.