Loaded Hummus with Shirazi Salad and Grilled Halloumi
This deliciously creamy loaded Hummus with shirazi salad and grilled Halloumi is perfect for celebrating Eid. Yes, it tastes just as mouth-watering as it looks.
- 2 cans drained chickpea (480g cooked)
- 1 cup tahini (240g)
- 1 cup olive oil (extra virgin)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 ice cubes
- Juice of one and a half lemons
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
To make the Shirazi Salad and garnish:
- 3/4 large cucumber
- 1 cup of cherry or plum tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- Juice of one lemon
- Fresh mint leaves to garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 100g Nocella olives
- 1 pack Halloumi cheese
- Add the chickpeas to a sauce pan with 4 cups of water. Place on medium to high heat and allow to boil for 30 minutes or until the chickpeas become tender and the skin should be easily removed.
- To remove the skin, rub the chickpeas lightly between your hands, this loosens the skin. Pour cold water in the pot and all the skin should rise to the surface, at this point you can remove them all. Do this process a few times to remove as much skin as possible.
- Drain the chickpeas fully and toss the cooked chickpeas in a smoothie blender for the smoothest hummus. Add tahini, cumin, salt, garlic cloves, lemon juice, water and pepper. Puree the chickpeas until there are no pieces or lumps, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ice and blend for another 3 minutes until everything is fully blended. You will see that the ice instantly brightens the hummus.
- While the blender is running, slowly drizzle extra virgin olive oil in a continuous thin line. This will make your hummus super smooth and creamy.
- Place the hummus in the fridge to cool down.
- Prep the Shirazi salad by chopping the cucumber, tomatoes and onions into small cubes. Mix them in a bowl, add lemon juice, salt and pepper and set this aside.
- Cut the Halloumi into small cubes and grill in a pan until golden on all sides.
- Time to assemble, Shape the hummus on a platter, garnish with the Shirazi salad, olives, fresh mint leaves and grilled halloumi. Drizzle a generous amount of olive oil and serve.