How to melt chocolate in a microwave
- Place your chocolate in a wide, shallow bowl and put it in the microwave. Heat it on medium high for about 30 seconds to start with.
- Remove from the microwave and stir the chocolate.
- Keep heating at 30 seconds another 2-3 times, stirring in between until the chocolate is completely melted and has a smooth, glossy consistency.
How to melt chocolate on a stove
- Bring a small pan to the boil, heating several inches of water.
- Cover the top with a tightly fitting, heat-proof bowl.
- Make sure the surface of the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl - this may burn the chocolate.
- Allow the chocolate to melt in the bowl, stirring occasionally until it is completely melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir to make sure it's a smooth glossy and runny - use while still warm.
How to melt chocolate in an oven
- Place your chocolate in a heat-proof bowl and place it in an oven set at 43°C (if your oven doesn't go that low, use the lowest temperature and keep the door slightly open).
- Your chocolate will melt very slowly, so be patient, and keep checking every couple of minutes. If necessary give the chocolate a little stir.