Progress Flag Cookie Recipe
We're excited to be working with Jake Graf for Pride this month. To help celebrate he came up with this delicious and sweet Progress Flag cookie recipe, which their daughter Millie thoroughly enjoyed 🏳️🌈
Get involved in all the fun with his recipe below and celebrate Pride this month:
- 125g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 1 medium egg
- 250g (8oz) plain flour
- Red food colouring
- Purple food colouring
- Blue food colouring
- Orange food colouring
- Yellow food colouring
- Green food colouring
- Chocolate (brown) frosting tube
- Black frosting tube
- Baby pink frosting tube
- Baby blue frosting tube
- White frosting tube
You will also need: Baking sheets, lined with non-stick liners or baking parchment, 6 small bowls.
Get cooking with these easy steps:
- Before you start preparing your Progress Flag cookie mixture, set the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract until the mixture is light and fluffy. You can refer to our how to cream butter and sugar guide here to ensure you’re creaming correctly.
- Beat in the egg and then the flour until the mixture binds together to form a dough. If the dough is very soft, wrap it in a plastic bag and chill it until it’s firm enough to roll out.
- Evenly divide your dough into 6 balls. In a bowl, you will then use your food colouring to make one blue ball, one red, one orange, one yellow, one purple and one green. Roll these out to make slim 'sausages' (8mm diameter roughly), all of the same length.
- On a flat surface, line up the colours one on top of each other, creating a long rainbow flag shape. Red, then orange, then yellow, green, blue and finally purple. You can drag a fork across the top of this, to help 'meld' the doughs, so that your biscuits hold together when baked.
- Cut these into 6 smaller 'flag' shapes. Using a fish slice, flip over so the uneven side is face down on the lined baking sheets. If there is time, chill the shapes for 10-15 mins before baking.
- Bake the biscuits in the centre of the oven for 15-20 mins, or until the cookies start to turn golden at the edges. Remove the baking sheets from the oven.
- Leave the cookies to cool for a few mins on the baking sheets, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To decorate, use your tubes of frosting and a thin nozzle. Start with a triangle of white in the centre of one end. Remember, red goes at the top! Then carefully pipe pink frosting around that first triangle. Then blue, then brown, then black. For reference, see our biscuits or search online for 'Progress Flag'!