Our tofish burgers are here to make your fish finger friday dreams come true… white bread slabs spread with vegan tartar, shredded lettuce, red onion slithers, mushy peas and breadcrumb coated tofu fingers - someone pass the salt and vinegar!
Serves: 2 butties
Cooking Time: 45 mins
For the tofu finger marinade:
- 280g Tofu block cut into 6 fingers
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- Juice & zest of 1 lemon (save aside half of your juice for your tartar and mushy peas)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- small handful parsley finely chopped
- For the tartar sauce:
- 4 heaped tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp capers drained
- 1 tbsp gherkins roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill roughly chopped
For the mushy peas:
- 2 handfuls frozen peas
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 50g unsweetened vegan yogurt
- 1 tbsp fresh mint finely chopped
For the batter:
- 300ml vegetable oil
- 100g plain flour
- 100ml oat or cashew milk
- 50g panko breadcrumbs
- 50g golden breadcrumbs
For the rest:
- 4 thick sliced white bread (tiger bread is best)
- 1/2 lettuce shredded
- Gherkins chopped
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- Start by placing your tofu fingers on kitchen roll, top with another layer of kitchen roll and place something heavy on top for 5 mins to remove any excess liquid.
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a bowl, season, add your tofu fingers and leave to marinade for 15 mins. Mix all tartar ingredients plus half your remaining lemon juice, salt and pepper and pop to one side.
- On to the mushy peas! Boil your frozen peas for 6 mins, drain and use a blender to blitz so they’re still a little chunky before stirring through your butter, yogurt, a pinch of salt & pepper, remaining lemon juice and mint. Pop in a small, microwaveable bowl for later.
- Meanwhile, heat your vegetable oil in a large pan over a medium heat. While your oil heats, bob your flour and breadcrumbs (both types mixed) in separate shallow bowls. Season your flour bowl.
- Dip each tofu finger in the flour so fully coated and pop to one side, ensuring to shake away any excess. Add your vegan milk to the remaining flour and whisk (add more milk to loosen if needed). Dip each floured finger in the milk mixture and then roll about in your breadcrumb mix so fully covered.
- Carefully pop each finger into your heated oil and fry for a couple of mins until golden before flipping and repeating so crispy all over before leaving to rest on kitchen roll.
- Microwave your mushy peas to heat then pread half your tartar across the bottom layer of bread for each sandwich and top with lettuce. Divide your tofish fingers across both, top with mushy peas, gherkins, red onion slithers and enjoy!