Sweet, Sour & Smokey! A slitheringly scary side to your Halloween party banquet. Cucumber sliced and arranged to look like a slithering snake stuffed with smoked salmon and dressed with a sweet 'n' sour dressing of chilli sauce, soy, white wine vinegar, honey and ginger on a bed of mixed leaves. Perfect loaded onto toast with cream cheese! This can be made without the smoked salmon so vegetarian if preferred!
Serves: 6 as a sharing side to a buffet
Cooking Time: 20 mins
For the snake:
- 1 wooden skewer
- 2 large whole cucumbers (for head & body)
- 1 smaller whole cucumbers (for tail)
- 2 peppercorns for eyes
- 120g smoked salmon
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp chilli sauce
- 2 garlic gloves minced
- 3 tbsp soy
- 1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 inch ginger grated
For the salad:
- 120g mixed leaves
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- Large handful coriander roughly chopped
To serve (optional):
- Small handful toasted sesame seeds
- Start by throwing all sauce ingredients in a pan, stir, bring to a simmer and then set aside to cool.
- Pick which large cucumber you think is best shaped to be the head and start of the snakes body (the more tapered the end is, the more realistic your snake head will look). Now onto spiralizing your cucumber! To do this thread a wooden skewer through the centre of the large cucumber that will be the head and start of the body.
- Pop down on a chopping board and place your knife at an angle around 3 inches down from the end of the cucumber that will make a head. As you press your knife down to the skewer, slowly rotate the cucumber to create a spiral around the skewer. Once at the end, carefully remove your skewer. Repeat this process with your other large cucumber that will make the body and smaller which will be the tail. Ensure to cut all the way from top to bottom rather than leaving 3 inches. Cut away all rounded ends of your cucumbers bar the head and tail.
- Scatter your leaves, sliced red onion and coriander on a serving platter/tray. Arrange and match up your cucumbers on your salad bed to create a slithering snake shape and sprinkle all over with a large pinch of sea salt and generous helping of cracked black pepper. Use a skewer to create holes in the head and push in your peppercorn eyes.
- Tear away small pieces of salmon and gently push into the gaps of your snake. You will not have enough salmon for every gap so just evenly distribute along your snake.
- Drizzle all over with your dressing and sesame seeds and serve centre stage of your Halloween banquet. Perfect loaded onto crusty bread with cream cheese- now thatsss ssslitheringly good!