Be my Ramentine
Serves - 2
Cooking Time - 30 mins
For the spring rolls (optional):
- 500ml vegetable oil for deep frying plus a tbsp for veg
- 150g leftover veg, finely chopped (e.g. carrots, onions, cabbage, peppers, mangetout, mushrooms etc...)
- Handful cooked prawns, chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 spring roll sheets defrosted
For the ramen:
- 2 packets instant ramen noodles
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp veg oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 spring onions finely sliced plus extra to garnish
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sesame seeds plus extra to garnish
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce
- 3 tbsp dark soy
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- Sweet chilli sauce for dipping
- Heat 500ml veg oil in a deep pan over a medium heat, line a baking tray with baking paper and pre-heat your oven to gas 3, 160°C, fan 140°C.
- Meanwhile, heat a tbsp of veg oil in a large, non-stick pan/wok over a medium heat and add your veg. Stir-fry for 3-5 mins until slightly softened and stir through your prawns (if using), oyster and soy sauce. Set aside to cool.
- Cut each pastry sheet in half and brush around the edges with a little water. Lay each sheet horizontally and pop a tbsp of cooled filling in the centre. Roll the bottom edge upwards and over the filling, fold in the ends and roll into a tight cylinder (you may need to brush with more water to seal). Repeat with the remaining filling and pastry sheets.
- Once your oil is hot carefully drop in your spring rolls (you can check by dropping in a breadcrumb- if the breadcrumb sizzles and floats it is ready). Cook for 3 mins until crispy and golden, remove with a slotted spoon and lay on your baking tray. Cover with foil and pop in the oven to keep warm until ready.
- Onto your noodles! Cook as per package instructions, drain (retaining water) and pop to one side.
- Heat your sesame and veg oil in a non-stick pan over a medium-high heat until hot. Whilst waiting for your oil to heat mix all other ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Once your oil is hot, add your mixed ingredients, give a quick stir, add your noodles and toss. Add a little of the noodle water to loosen at this point if needed.
- Remove your spring rolls from the oven and pop on a sharing plate with a ramekin of sweet chilli. Divide your noodles into bowls and sprinkle with sesame seeds and spring onion for the ultimate take-out in this Valentine's!