‘M’ Chocolate Banana Mousse Cake
You will need a 15.5cm cake ring and 12cm/13cm cake ring. If you do not have cake rings, you can make the individual elements and plate immediately or assemble in a ramekin as you would below (no mirror glaze is needed in this case). See assembling notes below before you begin.
For the chocolate caramel:
1. Make a dry caramel
75g Morrisons double cream
15g liquid glucose
2. Warm the cream and glucose together and add this to the caramelised sugar.
3. Stir vigorously and allow to bubble for two minutes.
4. Take off the heat
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
5. Add into caramel
For the sponge:
55g Morrisons unsalted butter
6. Stir in the butter and chocolate until completely melted and mixed. Allow to cool
2 Large eggs
1. Whisk together
120g Morrisons dark chocolate
120g Morrisons unsalted butter
3. Melt and mix with melted chocolate
4. Mix together with whisked eggs.
30g Morrisons plain flour
50g Morrisons Pecan nuts, chopped
5. Fold flour into mix, line and fill your tray and bake at 160°C fan for 18 minutes
For the banana compote:
40g Morrisons unsalted butter
40g pectin sugar
1. Melt the butter and sugar until slightly caramelised
1 large banana. Peel and chop into cubes
Pinch of salt
2. Stir in the banana and salt and cook for a minute.
3. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
For the chocolate mousse:
Make the mousse an hour after freezing above layers (see assembling notes below).
112g simple syrup (Bring 120g water plus 120g sugar to a boil to make a syrup and weigh out 112g)
75g egg yolk
1. Whisk together the syrup and yolk over a bain-marie until doubled in volume
2. Take off the heat and whisk until double in size and cooled.
210g Morrisons milk chocolate
3. Melt chocolate and stir into the egg mixture above
390g Morrisons double cream
4. Whisk the cream to soft peaks and mix gently into the chocolate/egg mixture
For the biscuit decoration:
90g Morrisons unsalted butter
90g Caster sugar
220g Morrisons plain flour
30g Morrisons cocoa powder
1. Rub all together to resemble fine breadcrumbs
1 Medium Morrisons Egg
2. Stir in the beaten egg and bring together to form a dough
3. Roll thinly between two sheets of parchment paper and chill for later use.
4. Use a 3cm cookie cutter and cut about 20 rounds.
5. Bake at 170c fan for 18 minutes.
6. Once baked, allow to cool for later use.
For the chocolate glaze:
(Make on day two)
60g Caster sugar
5g Morrisons cocoa powder
88g liquid glucose
1. Mix the sugar and cocoa powder
2. Bring the water, glucose and above to a soft boil.
50g condensed milk
7g Gelatine leaf, pre softened in ‘cold’ water and strain
3. Add the milk and strained gelatine.
100g Morrisons dark chocolate
4. Pour warm mixture onto chocolate and mix together until smooth - Cover with film (ensure film is touching the glaze)
5. Use at 35°C- 40°C on frozen mousse.
Part One/Day One
Part Two/Day Two