Roast Garlic & Olive Oil Mash
Preparation and cooking time: 45 mins
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 900g potatoes, peeled and chopped into medium even chunks (King Edwards or Maris Piper)
- 50g butter
- 75ml extra virgin olive oil
- Boil a kettle of water and pre-heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Once heated, pop your whole garlic bulb into the oven for 25-30 mins.
- Whilst you wait, add your potatoes to a large, deep pan, pour over so fully covered in boiling water, add a pinch of salt and cover and simmer over a medium heat for 20 mins. Check they are done by poking a potato with a fork - it should slip off the fork and be soft inside.
- Once your potatoes are ready, drain and return to the pan before adding your butter and half the oil and mashing with a potato masher until lump-free and smooth. Once smooth, use a spoon to whip in and incorporate the rest of the oil.
- Remove your garlic from the oven (careful it will be hot) and use the back of a knife to carefully squeeze out all of the roast garlic from its skin. Mush the garlic with a fork into a smooth paste before adding to your potatoes and mixing until combined.
- Season your mash with salt and cracked black pepper, stir, taste and serve as a decadent side to your Father’s Day steak dinner.