Easter Lamb Recipe
Time - 5 hours
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.2kg lamb leg roast shank, excess fat trimmed, fat scored
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded, thickly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 125ml white wine
- 200ml chicken stock
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 70g olives, pitted
- 2 courgette, chopped
- 500g baby pearl potatoes
- 1 pack cherry tomatoes
- 2 red onion, thickly cut
Optional garnish and accompaniments:
- Fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Lemon rind
- Light the charcoal and return the lid to the BBQ and wait for the coals to turn white. If you would rather oven cook, preheat the oven to 130°C/110°C fan.
- Season the lamb and put in a BBQ roasting tin with the oil (or a flameproof roasting tin on the hob if not BBQing) cook fat side down, for 5 minutes each side, then set aside.
- Add the brown onion and pepper to the tin and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute. Add the wine and simmer until slightly reduced then add the stock.
- Add the lamb to the tin with the bay leaves and thyme, on the BBQ close the lid and cook for approx 2 hours or in the oven cover and roast for 4.5 hours
- Remove from the heat (if oven cooking, increase the heat to 180°C/160°C fan, and remove the lid from the roasting tin) check the stock has reduced, add the baby potatoes, tomatoes, courgette and red onion to the tray and return to the heat to cook for a further 30 mins.
- Remove from the heat and stir through the olives and return to the heat for 5 mins. If BBQing now place the lamb on the open grill to smoke for 15 mins, leaving the tin on the grill to continue cooking the veg.
- Remove from the heat and to keep the Mediterranean theme, serve with hummus, salad and tzatziki.