More brekkie in bed. Start the day as you mean to go on with our big brekkie panwich! Is it a pancake? Is it a sandwich?
Cooking Time: 30 mins
For the pancakes
- 200g plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250ml whole milk
- Large handful of chives, roughly chopped
- Butter for pan
For the fillings
- 2 pork sausages, removed from skins
- 2 tbsp caramelised onion chutney
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (1 for pattie and 1 for eggs)
- 4 eggs
To serve (optional)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Extra caramelised onion chutney
- Preheat your oven to gas 3, 160°C, fan 140°C. Add all of your dry pancake ingredients plus a tsp salt to a large bowl and stir. Create a well in the centre, crack in your eggs and pour in the milk. Using a fork, begin whisking together in small circular motions, gradually incorporating the dry mixture bit by bit until a smooth batter forms. Stir through your chives and a big pinch of cracked black pepper.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter. Allow to melt and add a couple of small ladles of batter to the centre of the pan to create two mini pancakes (use a small ring cutter to stop the batter spreading if you have one). Once the top of the pancakes begin to bubble and puff up they are ready to flip. Cook for a minute or two on the second side and set aside. Repeat with the remaining batter, you should be able to make 8.
- Pop all pancakes onto a baking tray lined with baking paper, cover with foil and pop in the oven to keep warm until you are ready to assemble. Time to get your hands dirty! Mix your sausage meat, caramelised onion chutney and large pinch of salt and pepper in a medium bowl and then shape into 4 patties using your hands.
- Heat 1 tbsp of veg oil to a large, non-stick pan over a medium-high heat, add 4 patties and cook on one side for 4-5 mins, ensuring to give a shake to stop sticking. Once caramelised on one side, flip, add red onions if using and cook for a further 4-5 mins until cooked through and your onions are softened. Whilst waiting for your patties to cook, heat a tbsp of veg oil in another large, non-stick pan over a medium heat and crack in 4 eggs. Fry to your liking.
- Now to assemble. Remove your pancakes from the oven. Spread a bottom half with your fave sauce, followed by rocket, a sausage patty, caramelised onions (if using) and fried egg. Crown with your top pancake and repeat for each.