Roasted Honey Glazed Pork Belly with Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Rice
We've teamed up with our friend Janey Food Lover (@janeyfoodlover) to bring you this mouth-watering pork belly recipe. Wow your friends and family and give this one a try.
Pork Belly Ingredients:
- 1.5kg bone-in pork belly
- Olive oil
- 4 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses (optional)
- Salt and pepper
Pomegranate Rice Ingredients:
- 1 butternut squash pumpkin, washed, seeds removed, sliced into small triangles
- Pomegranate seeds, from 1 pomegranate
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp allspice
- 3 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 can coconut milk
- 800ml vegetable or chicken broth
- 300g long-grain rice, washed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley to serve
Pork Belly Method:
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Score the top of the pork belly with a sharp knife. Brush the skin with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the pork belly into the oven and cook for 30 minutes until the skin becomes crispy.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, blend the pomegranate seeds, add the honey and molasses, and combine well.
- After 30 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 150 degrees Celsius and brush the top of the pork belly with the honey glaze you’ve just made.
- Save the additional glaze for brushing the pork belly during the cooking process. Brush every 20 minutes.
- Cook the pork belly for a further 60 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 73 degrees Celsius. Allow 5 minutes to rest before slicing.
Pomegranate Rice Method:
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion and pepper for 5 minutes until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the garlic, allspice, thyme and pumpkin. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and half of the broth. Stir well, bring to boil, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, remaining broth, salt and pepper, stir well and cook covered for additional 15 minutes until the rice is cooked to your preference.
- Season with additional salt and pepper according to your taste and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.