The story goes that the Sandwich was named when John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, fancied a snack of meat between two pieces of bread back in the 18th Century. Impressed, those around him followed suit and ordered "...the same as Sandwich". Since then, the humble 'sarnie' has become one of the nation's favourite foods...the 'go-to' for lunch and quick bites.
While the usual sandwich idea suspects of BLTs, cheese & pickle, ham, egg mayonnaise (and of course the quintessential British cucumber finger sandwich) all generally use sliced bread as their base, the rise (see what we did there?) of other bakery staples like bagels, wraps and other breads means there's more choice than ever when it comes to choosing what to fill with your favourite ingredients. Here, we look at four ways to make a sandwich without the slices.
Slice-free Sandwich Idea #1: Asian-style turkey baguette
Here's a sandwich idea to help you really raise your sandwich game. The Asian-style chilli, garlic and carrot combination gives it a nice little kick, which is ideal for suppers or lighter bites whenever you fancy. This recipe makes 4 baguettes in 20 minutes.
- 1 large carrot, cut into thin strips
- 3 salad onions, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 480g pack turkey breast steaks
- 4 white sandwich baguettes
- 4 tsp light mayonnaise
- Handful fresh coriander
How to make it:
1. Mix together the carrot, salad onions, cucumber, chilli, garlic, sugar, rice vinegar and a pinch of salt. Leave to marinate for a few minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Season the turkey breasts on both sides and fry for 2-3 minutes on both sides and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden.
3. Cut the ends off the baguettes and slice each one lengthways. Spread each with 1 tsp mayonnaise. Cut each turkey steak in half and place in the baguettes then top with the vegetables and coriander.
Slice-free Sandwich Idea #2: Fish Finger Butty With Lemon Mayo
Zesty and satisfying, this classic comes with a lemon twist that makes it just the bite for a filling snack at home. It's a great way to make a simple bite for four from scratch, including your own batter, in just 15 minutes.
- 4 coley fillets, from our Fishmonger● 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 150g natural breadcrumbs
- 80ml light mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest only
- 2 tbsp capers, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 wholemeal rolls
- 50g watercress
How to make it:
- Cut the fish into large goujons and season. Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs into shallow bowls. Dip each goujon into the flour, coat well and shake off any excess. Then dip into the egg then the breadcrumbs, coating well.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, lemon zest, capers and dill. Season.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pan over a medium-high heat. It’s hot enough when a piece of bread dropped in sizzles immediately. Fry the fish fingers for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown then remove from the oil and drain on kitchen roll.
- Cut the rolls in half. Spread the lemon mayo on the bottom half, add fish fingers and watercress then replace the top of the roll and serve.
Slice-free Sandwich Idea #3: New York-style pastrami bagel
Treat yourself and a lucky lunch buddy to a NYC style bagel or two, or pack it up and enjoy something with extra bite at work. This
- 4 bagels (we used M seeded onion bagels)
- 4 tbsp low-fat cream cheese
- 4 tbsp piccalilli
- 1⁄2 x 120g bag spinach, rocket, red and ruby chard
- 4 slices Edam cheese
- 12 slices pastrami, from our Deli
- 1⁄2 cucumber, sliced
- 1⁄2 red onion, sliced
How to make it:
- Cut the bagels in half and toast them lightly under the grill.
- Spread the bottom half of each bagel with cream cheese. Top with piccalilli and a handful of salad leaves.
- Lay a slice of cheese over the salad and top with plenty of pastrami, some cucumber and onion. Season lightly and finish by adding the bagel lid.
Slice-free Sandwich Idea #4: The Rainbow wrap
This one is a great way to get the kids eating more veg - with a rainbow filling that tastes as colourful as it is. Lots of crunch and minimum effort to make and for a lunchbox, just chop, wrap and go.
- 4 tortilla wraps
- 4 tbsp Morrisons tomato and basil houmous
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2 Little Gems, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, halved and thickly sliced
- 1 avocado, stone removed, thickly sliced
- 3 pickled beetroot, cut into batons
- 150g can sweetcorn, drained
How to make it:
- Lay 2 tortillas, overlapping slightly, on a piece of greaseproof paper.
- Spread half the houmous over the middle of the tortillas then top each side or until golden.
- Cut the ends off the baguettes and slice each one lengthways. Spread each with 1 tsp mayonnaise. Cut each turkey steak in half and place in the baguettes then top with the vegetables and coriander. with half the carrot, Little Gem, tomato, avocado, beetroot and sweetcorn and season.
- Fold the sides of the tortillas in then roll up tightly from the bottom edge, using the paper to keep it tight. Finally, wrap the paper round the sandwich and twist the edges to secure the roll. Cut at an angle across the middle to create 2 wraps. Repeat to make 2 more wraps.