Black Forest Cake Recipe
Chocolate Meringue Ingredients & Method:
- 100 Egg Whites
- 165g Caster Sugar
- 40g Cocoa Powder
- Preheat the oven to 100°C fan.
- Whisk the whites until frothy.
- Add the sugar in stages and continue to whisk until doubled in volume and stiff.
- Fold in the cocoa powder.
- Using a round tip nozzle, pipe straight lines onto a pre lined baking tray and bake until hardened/dry.
- Once baked, allow to cool and trim to size (about 6 cm batons).
Sponge Ingredients & Method:
- 4 Eggs
- 110g Caster Sugar
- 20g M Unsalted Butter, melted
- 90g M Plain Flour, sifted
- 10g Cocoa Powder, sifted
- 100g Kirsch (optional if non-drinker)
- One jar of Morrisons Cherry Jam
- Grease and line a shallow baking tray or two 7inches baking tins.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a heatproof bowl and whisk over a pan of simmering water for 4 minutes until doubled in size (Bain-marie method).
- Remove from the heat and continue to whisk on medium to high speed for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Fold in the flour and cocoa powder and butter until incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the tray or two prepared tins and bake for 10 minutes at 180° fan.
- Allow to cool once baked. Once cooled, cut out two 7inch rounds (if baked in a tray). If not brush the two round cakes with Kirsch ready to assemble.
Chocolate Cream Ingredients & Method
- 125g M Whole Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 20g Caster Sugar
- 15g Cornflour
- 15g M Unsalted Butter
- 80g M Dark Chocolate (The Best)
- 70g M Double Cream
- In a small saucepan, bring to soft boil the milk and vanilla bean paste.
- Melt the chocolate and mix in the milk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk at high speed, the yolks, sugar and cornflour.
- Add a third of the warm milk to the yolk mixture and continue to mix. Add the remaining milk and mix all together.
- Bring the pan back to soft boil and stir gently in a circular motion until thicken.
- Break the chocolate and place into a clean bowl along with butter.
- When your custard is thickened, take off the heat and pour onto the chocolate and butter and gently mix all together. Cover with cling film to avoid skin forming and allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, whip the double cream to soft peaks and mix with the chocolate cream.
Whipped Cream Ingredients & Method
- 600ml M Double cream – Whip to soft peaks.
- 50g M White Chocolate – shave and sprinkle on top.
- 50g M Dark Chocolate (The Best) – shave and sprinkle on top.
- 50g Glace Cherries – place cherries on top.
Assemble The Cake
- Place one sponge onto your serving plate and top with a couple tablespoons of jam. Spread evenly.
- Gently pipe the chocolate cream onto the jam, spread evenly and cover with the second sponge.
- Cover the sides of the cake with a small amount of soft whipped cream and carefully cover the sides with the baked meringue batons.
- Fill a piping bag with the remaining soft whipped cream and pipe peaks on top of the cake to cover.
- Finish with chopped white and dark chocolate and some glace cherries.